Friday 29 June 2012

It's all about love

You know that saying about do what you love and the money will follow? I don't think it works in all cases, but I finally got to understand its meaning.

Sometimes if I've made a meal where it was just thrown together because I'm tired, hubby might tease and say "I can't taste the love in this." "Yeah, yeah yeah" is my response and I brush it off. The other day though, I went in for a massage because I had a Groupon coupon.

My masseuse was efficient and friendly enough, but it's like all these sushi restaurants popping up all over town. They do it for the money, not because they're passionate about the art of making sushi. These people haven't spent years perfecting the rice, they took a short course on the basics of making sushi and opened up restaurants because, if you build it, they will come. The same was with this last massage.

I've been to a different masseuse in the past, and he and his wife both go learn new techniques and train with the masters once a year. And when these people give you a massage, it's a whole experience. The music they play is soft, the lighting is dimmed, and they give it their all. This last massage I had, people were talking loudly outside the room, the music was classic meets the pound (there was a dog barking in one "song"), and even as I was headed out the door, they wanted to book me for another session rather than waiting for me to say I wanted to come back.

So now I understand, you need to have passion in what you do, you need to do it because you feel strongly and emotionally tied to your craft. That will be reflected in the final product and people will appreciate the effort that's involved.

So enough preaching, I'm off on a two week hiatus because my wonderful sister is visiting.


9 comments:

  1. But I love it when you get on your "soap" box! lol! I hope you have a great visit with that lovely sister of yours and her family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one Grace! I'm sure we'll have a great time despite our uncle being in the hospital.

      Delete
    2. Oh and I just noticed, thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  2. First- Have a wonderful time with your sister!!!!

    AND second, you said that right about those who are doing it for the money, and those who are doing it for the love of the craft. Today I see "pop-ups" in so many ways, and places. It's such a shame people are out to make a quick buck, and take short cuts to make this happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you Carrie! T and I are having a great time when we get together.

      It's why I love your products, it's easy to tell that you do love what you do. Unfortunately, as you say, too many people are more concerned with making money than being passionate.

      Delete
  3. I will 2nd exactly what Carrie said. More and more people are doing things for money and not because they love it and I think that is why we see so many unhappy people running around.

    Keep doing what you love and it all aspects you will find success :) Good reminder post, thank you!

    Have a wonderful time on your two week hiatus. You two try to stay out of trouble :D I hope the weather is beautiful up your way and that the two of you have a great time hanging out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Michelle, we're expected to accept mediocre because that's what's mostly out there and, like you said, people aren't happy working on what should be a labour of love.

      We've managed to stay out of trouble so far, but there's still one week left. ;)

      Delete
  4. And we stayed out of trouble that second week too! ;)

    That is one hilarious cartoon. Yeah, so why can't we make big bucks by napping and checking emails??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, can you imagine how much more interesting it would've been if we got into trouble?

    I know it's not fair that we can't make money for napping, or just breathing?

    ReplyDelete