Sunday 23 March 2014

Change of subject (line)

I thought this post was going to have to come under the subject line of "craft fail" but it turned out better than I expected.

We all know of Pasito a Pasito, right? I think I have most of his soaps pinned on my Pinterest page and his soaps have been an inspiration from early on. This time, I used his ideas (but not his hard work of carving out pieces) to create some new soaps. Have I mentioned how much I like my guest soap mold? I like being able to make something new without having to invest a lot of soap into it.

Part of the purpose of this soap was to use up some of the leftover soap I have laying around. If I weren't such my mother's daughter, I'd toss it because it comes from that kit from the craft-store-that-shall-not-be-named. However, my mother was frugal and has passed that along to me (If she'd only passed along some of her other great traits rather than her short fingers and height, I'd be so happy. But I digress).

I used a leaf cookie cutter to get the pattern and learned very quickly to press the soap into the cutter, and not the other way around. I could continue with pressing the cutter into the soap if I really wanted a permanent leaf mark in my palm. I lined up the cut piece over top the full square piece so that I could cut out the identical section from the whole square.

Part of the orange piece was used in last week's rainbow project.


Then, to use up some more of the soap, I did it in reverse as well.  But since I also had some (or lots) of blue left from pouring the first soap, I cut out another piece from the square and poured some of the blue into that. Hence why there's blue leaking through to the other side.

But there's still more soap to be used up! So let's make a third pattern. 

What you can't tell from that picture, which I keep forgetting about when I try and make 3-D patterns, is that you can't see it from a 2-D picture. So what I'd like to show is this.

No, I'm not just trying to show you the mess I made, rather that one of the leaf cutouts is actually not a full to the bottom piece. I should've poured the light blue to not quite the top, let it solidify, then add that  second cut out and poured clear on top of everything. That would've made it nicer looking but that's something for me to remember for next time.

Who or where do you turn to for inspiration when making your soaps?

Have a great week.


21 comments:

  1. Since I stopped making funky MP soaps, I've not been thinking about them or getting inspiration for them. :) I just look at yours and projects that Brambleberry sends out occasionally via emails and say, "well, isn't that nice?" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And kudos for having this turn out nicely!

      Delete
    2. When you come up with copious amounts of free time again (and yes I say that with dripping sarcasm) you might start to get inspired to make wacky designs again. And yeah I do that a lot too with other people's soaps that I see as well.

      And thanks! I was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I've never tried anything like that, but that is a cool look! I love it.....and it gets my wheels turning.

    ha ha! I have to chuckle when I read about your "frugal" ways--I'm exactly the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make different types of lovely soaps Amy, but I'm glad it's got your hamsters running on a different wheel. ;)

      See, I knew we were related! There are more and more similarities emerging!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work, Monica! I especially like the third - looks so clean and fresh.

    I am also frugal, but less so than my mom. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silvia! The two colours does make for a cleaner look doesn't it?

      I know what you mean about being less frugal than mom; I haven't quite gotten to the point of eating something that's been sitting on the kitchen counter for too long, but I do get pretty close. ;)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Sounds like my mom. :D

      Delete
  4. I love the look! I've not seen a soap like that before. The 2nd soap reminds me of a stained glass window, the 3rd soap; a tranquil ocean... very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It's obviously not perfect, but it was a fun experiment. I like the idea of stained glass, maybe next time I'll have to try some more brilliant colours to really make it pop. As for a tranquil ocean, maybe it's my subconscious that made that soap, thinking how nice it'd be to be on a cruise right about now. :)

      Delete
  5. Am I only one here sunlit by the first soap? So tropic and hot! Ok, don't laugh, but here it is how I see them all: the 1st one- summer, the 2nd one- autumn and the last one- winter soap. Now,I miss spring soap for the '4 seasons' collection! Any leftovers still left? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maja, you do make me smile so! I love the way you think and come up with such clever ideas. You are so right about how they match up with the seasons. Yes there is more leftover soap so I guess I better get cracking on that last season. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I like more the 1st soap, like the way you combined blue and yellow( love this combination!). I like to find my inspiraton in food and nature. I know that blog and I dream of that day when my soaps would be so perfectly done as Pasito soaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nat! Blue and yellow are a great combination aren't they? I really should remember to use it more. I love your inspirations and you are definitely inspired (and an inspiration). I think your soaps are just as lovely as Pasito soaps, but in your own way. I mean he hasn't come up with a cool chocolate soap like yours yet, has he? ;)

      Delete
  7. Those are beautiful, Monica! All three are gorgeous, but I especially love the first soap - it looks like sunshine! Embed soaps are so fun. And I love how dramatic colors and shimmery micas really pop in M&P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! It was a sunny day when I took the pictures of those soaps (for a change) and I tried to have the lighting reflect (no pun intended) that. I am having a great time with the embeds, trying out new designs and trying to be more creative, like you guys! You're right, micas do make MP soaps pop, I should use them more often.

      Delete
  8. Cool soaps!!! I really like! Especially the first one. I love the contrast of the blue and gold/orange! They pop really well against each other :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxana! I think having the colour contrasts help as well as having a solid versus a clear to really make the pattern stand out.

      Delete
  9. That is fabulous...what a cool technique!!! My favorite is the top one too, it really looks like a work of art. And Maja's right, they all look like they repesent different seasons! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee! I think after doing a few more, I might actually get the hang of it. :) I like the idea of seasonal soaps, it might be my next thing.

      Delete