Friday 4 November 2011

It's all in the details

You know that saying about "success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration? I have a variation on that: Detailing is 15% inspiration, 80% cleaning up the bits of soap that don't belong and 5% cursing and muttering under my breath. It's so rewarding when it does come together as it should though, I love to see the colours pop and make the soaps come to life.

Today I actually had a bit of revelation while colouring the dots and fins on the fish - if I keep the soap heated up to the proper temperature, it makes it alot easier to work with and less likely to harden up in they syringe. I know, it's almost a duh statement, but getting it to that point of the right consistency is much harder than it sounds, at least for a newbie. Like everything else, it takes practice to get it right, but when I figure out the magic formula of timing, heating and perfect amount of soap to use, I'm sure I'll send much less time cursing and cleaning.

In the meanwhile, these are three examples of the soaps that require detailing that I'm working on for the upcoming shows. Apologies for the not great picture.







2 comments:

  1. The gingerbread man looks great! I thought you knew that you need to keep your detailing soap and the syringe in a pot of simmering water to keep the temperature up, which was why I said it'd be nice for you to work in your kitchen. Well, now that you know, hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping that I could work fast enough that I just had to clean out the syringe at the end, like in Anne-Marie's tutorial. Maybe by the same time next year.

    ReplyDelete