Friday 26 April 2013

You've got a friend

I follow some amazing soapers' blogs:  Oil & Butter, Pink Sudz Soaping Diaries, I'd Rather be Soaping, Under the Willow and of course the requisite Brambleberry and Soap and Restless. These women amaze me with their soaps and sometimes, I think, why do I bother? This isn't a cry for sympathy, it's just a statement of fact.

These women are so supportive and encouraging, but as an MP soaper in a sea of CP soapers, I feel like a fraud sometimes. I'm not risking life and skin playing with lye, and I certainly can't do the mica line (can I?) with melt and pour. And I'm not even going to talk about tiger stripes or anything that beautifully complicated.

Then I get a message from one of my oldest and dearest friend, telling me how her mother-in-law really liked the soap my friend had bought from me, and how her 3 year old son was completely distraught about the last of his fish soap going down the drain. This is when I realize, this is one of the reasons why I still enjoy doing making MP soap, because there are people who like them.


5 comments:

  1. Awww, that's sweet that they liked the soaps so much! Everyone has their own specialties and special niches. As for the danger element, you are always in danger of being burned by the melted soap base, so there ya go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that packaging is adorable...and that's such a cute story! And don't you ever feel bad for making MP soaps, they are definitely an art in themselves! I really enjoy making MP soaps too, there are things you can do with MP that you just can't do with CP and there is definitely a market for both types as evidenced by your sweet story! Most importantly, it's a valid creative outlet and if it makes you happy then that's all that matters! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee. I think as someone who makes CP, HP and MP soaps, you can appreciate all the different types of soaps more so than those of us who haven't done it.

      You are so right tho, I should do it for the love of it and be happy with that.

      Delete
  3. Aww, thanks for the shout-out, Teresa! Your fish soap is so adorable! I made M&P soaps for a couple of years before I got into CP soap. I agree with Cee Gee, M&P soaping is an art and there are things that you can do with M&P that aren't easy to do with CP. I especially love how micas shimmer and colors pop in M&P soap. Some of the most beautiful soaps I've ever seen are M&P. And you don't have to worry about a fragrance oil accelerating trace in M&P soap, nor do you have to wait six weeks for the soap to cure before using it. I've still got some M&P bases - I should play with them sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! Thanks Teresa! You are too sweet. I feel like most of the times I am like a "Bull in a China Shop", just feeling my way around and hoping that I do it right. Your soaps are beautiful and a work of art. Sadly I was not successful with MP. I used to look at all the beautiful soaps and could not come up with anything close. I still have two boxes of 25lb of MP in my soaping closet!!! If you ever run out give me a call and I'll send you some :). Just keep trying and don't give up on CP. Eventually you will find a technique that you will feel comfortable with and keep up with MP :)

    ReplyDelete